Wednesday, October 12, 2016

The Last Sunrise


Walking is a lot like mowing the lawn but without purpose.  When a task has no purpose it's up to us to add some.  When I'm walking, mowing, or driving long distances by myself I use that opportunity to think.  Typically, it involves planning something that I want (not need) to do.  Over the past 12 weeks of continually circling the Brotherhood path I've thought of lots of things.  There are certain things that I've come to expect and other things that I look forward to.  Those include watching the fountain come on at 6:00 a.m. and the plume of black smoke and smell of diesel fumes as the generators fire up.  Another is watching the sun come up.  This morning as I was waking by cool-down lap I could see glimmers of twilight in the sky.  If the program would have lasted a couple of more weeks daylight savings time would have kicked in and we would probably get to see the sun come up again.  It has amazed me that we have had 12 straight weeks with no rain.

What will I do now?  Time will tell.  As the weather turns colder don't look for me walking/running on the path at 6:00 a.m.  I can see the sunrise just fine from my bedroom window.  Maybe I'll take a look after walking/running on my treadmill at home.

2 comments:

  1. Dave, you did great today! Thanks for pacing me. I hope you get on that treadmill every morning!

    ReplyDelete