Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Timed walk/run mile

So I was dreading today because I know that it meant I would need to make it a mile and see how I did.  I was expecting to be the fastest, in fact I was pretty sure that I was going to be the slowest.  I enjoy it when I am right, to an extent.  I finished just under a 23 minute mile.  Do you know what?  I am quite proud of myself.  I didn't need to stop, I just kept going.  My legs ached from the shin splints and I was sweating pretty good, even got lapped.    At the half mile I had considered throwing in the towel and not finishing it.  I didn't because there was a goal and I was determined to make it there.  One good thing was that I had Matt from season 9 join us again and he kept me company.  Even played some country music to help pass the time.  I think I will consider doing that the next time I need to run.

So I was expecting to be pretty sore from the past two days and to be truthful, I am.  The soreness will eventually go away and the reward will be worth it.  My family is supportive, my team is supportive and so are my coworkers.  I see this as a turning point in my life that needed to come and I am grateful that it has.


11 comments:

  1. Very cool post. Everybody feels like throwing the towel in sometimes, but it won't help advance your cause. Every step, every mile, and every day that you continue your journey, gets you closer to the goal; a healthier you! Do it for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Adam! One thing I have learned about setting goals is if you have failed to achieve particular goals in the past - perhaps even repeatedly - one thing that helps is to set smaller goals that you know you can achieve. I have no idea what your track record is, but whenever I have tried to get healthy on my own, it only seemed to work a little while before I gave up. What I like about your post is that you acknowledged the fact that you took what Frank said to heart about sticking with a goal. For today, our goal was to finish 1 mile, no matter how stellar or how ugly it might have been.

    I appreciate both your transparency and determination. Reminds me of 1 Thessalonians 5:24 (NLT version).

    Blessings, g

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go Adam! So glad you kept going! So glad you are proud of yourself!
    Just the beginning! You will have SO MANY things to be proud of doing in the program! What a feeling!
    Some love running with music, some like without! I sure do! Music keeps me going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Adam! So glad you kept going! So glad you are proud of yourself!
    Just the beginning! You will have SO MANY things to be proud of doing in the program! What a feeling!
    Some love running with music, some like without! I sure do! Music keeps me going!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adam, I'm proud of you for sticking with it. Matt is very encouraging and just a nice sort of guy. I'm glad you two were rocking out to Country music.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice post Adam. Way to go this morning, keep up the good work. I'm glad we're teammates.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Job Adam! So glad you powered through! Proud of my teammate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's definitely a journey, not necessarily an easy one but each and every day you can look back on what you accomplished and know that YOU did it. Just think about everything that you accomplished today and what you were doing last Wednesday morning, that always made me feel pretty encouraged. I enjoyed hearing the music as you guys passed too, it helps me get out of my mind when I walk with music on. Keep on pushing, it's worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's awesome Adam!! This is only the beginning of the wonderful things you'll surprise yourself with!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Keep going! You can do it!!! Change has to start somewhere and every step gets you that much closer to the goal.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adam good job in going the whole mile. You are an inspiration by your not giving up but continue to go forward. You have got this and will succeed.

    ReplyDelete