Friday, August 12, 2016

Day 5 / Week 3 - If Today Were My Last...

Isn't it amazing how God seems to show up right in the midst of our day? I love His creativity and always look forward to being prompted to do something specific for Him. Today was one of those special days.

The day began with a very low impact recumbent bike ride with my partner Sarah sitting next to me. Even though I joked about it when the crowd behind us made a comment about being there for a workout not a social hour, I truly enjoyed having a chance to get to know a bit more about this young woman who inspires me to push harder every time I "go to work" on me. Her scream of passion yesterday was just one of the many ways she helps me get moving. She really has no idea!

Then it was on to the stair stepper. While I didn't quite make it to the 20 minute mark as per our challenge instructions, I figured I made up for it in the extra mileage I put on the bike. But it was what happened next that really set my day in motion...

As I was in the locker room after setting more buckets of sweat free this morning, there was a curious looking man who passed by and said "Hi" as he was heading for the showers. Going about my own routine after our passing encounter, it seemed the Lord had a job for me to do related to this man.

When I was finished in the locker room, I decided to hang out in the Bistro area to seek a little more clarity about what the Lord had in mind. He shared with me that the man I was waiting to see again had been troubled by a number of things lately and was feeling some of life's burdens. I agreed to wait until the man came out so I could inquire about this with him and share a word of encouragement straight from the heart of God. In fact, just before the guy came out of the locker room, I asked the Lord to confirm His word was from Him by a change in the countenance in this guy's face.

So, here he comes and I wave him over to the table where I had been sitting. As he walks toward me, I stand and reach out to shake his hand and commence introductions. His name is Wes and it turned out he was a contestant in FWSW season 8. Still holding on to his hand, I said, "Wes, I don't know about this, but I have found it is always important to listen to that still small voice inside. By any change, have you been dealing with some heavy burdens lately, because it seems the Lord was prompting me to let you know that He has been with you taking care of things in the background, and He wants you to know everything is going to be just fine and all will be well with you again."

Wes about fell over and said, "You have no idea how much I needed that word today!" We had a nice chat for a few minute and talked about becoming accountability partners. He even wants to come walk with me. After laying hands on him during a prayer in the parking lot, we were walking to his car and I asked him to stop by on his way out because I had something for him. I went to my car, grabbed my wallet, and pulled out a little cash I had taken out of the credit union a few days ago. When Wes drove around, he stopped next to me and I told him, "I never carry cash, but for some reason the Lord had me get this out of my account a few days ago and told me to hang on to it until He prompts me to use it. Again, he was blown away.

As I he drove away, I asked the Lord to multiply all the seed sown into Wes' life 100 times over and surround him with a whole new level of supporters, from family to friends to co-workers and his boss at work, that he would know that God is on the job for him.

If today was my very last in this program or even on the earth, it would have all been totally worth it to have had this one opportunity to love a man who had been seeking to hear from God. Today, he received his answer!

Friends, never think that this journey is just for you or your benefit. We are here at this specially appointed time for a very specific purpose. Through our soreness, tiredness, and sweaty, smelly experiences, there are many, many others who are looking on and watching, and even in some cases waiting on us to fulfill the will of God according to His plan for each and every one of us - whether they know it or not.

"For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord
“They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope."
Jeremiah 29:11 NLT

"Let us hold tightly without wavering to the hope we affirm, for God can be trusted to keep his promise. 24 Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works. 25 And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near."
Hebrews 10:23-25 NLT

Bless you all and have an amazing weekend!
Gavin

4 comments:

  1. Bless you for following God's prompting Gavin. I know you are blessed and are a blessing to all of us. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Gavin! I love Wes! I had only waved from afar in the gym today to him today, when we usually talk and hug. And saw you too talking in the Bistro.
    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blown away Gavin~ cool God appointment for sure! Praise God you were obedient and followed Him without question and hesitation!
    As I keep chanting - Trust & Obey!!!! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so easy to become so self-centered doing this program. So grateful that you are being able to look past everything to see someone else and their need. Wes is a great guy and I am so glad you were able to reach to him.

    ReplyDelete